This breakfast reminds me of apple crumble. It is crisp on the outside and gooey on the inside. Perfect for chilly mornings or a quick dinner after a long day. Originally I used a quick porridge pot (you know, the ones where you just add hot water) But i have made it again and again from scratch using almond / oat milk etc. Work with whatever you have in.
- 40 – 60 g of porridge oats (depending on how hungry you are)
- Milk – enough to cover your porridge when it is in the pan. (I like to use dairy free milk but use whatever milk you prefer)
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1/2 an Apple (cut some of it into chunks and the rest coarsely grate)
I like using bananas and blueberries, a drizzle of honey or maple syrup, a dusting of cinnamon or cinnamon sugar. Use whatever you think works well .
- In a small non stick sauce pan toast your oats for a couple minuets on a low heat. Turn your grill up to the highest level. Add the spices and the apple into the pan and stir.
- Pour the milk over the oats and stir. Cook the oats. Low and slow is the key here because you’ll get gorgeous creamy oats. When they are almost cooked tip in the remove from the heat and pour into a heat proof ceramic bowl.
- Top with your chosen toppings. A slight dusting of cinnamon and a drizzle of honey or maple syrup. Put the bowl under the grill and cook for about 3 – 5 Minuets until the top is golden and crisp. Enjoy!