This breakfast / brunch is a great way to use up those veggies in your pantry that are looking a little sad. It’s filling, healthy and really easy to throw together. You can pretty much use anything you have in the fridge. Some of my favourites include : Peppers, Courgettes, Asparagus, Carrots, Spicy Chorizo and Greens like kale or spinach.
Serves 1 -2 People
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 an Onion
- Any Vegetables want to use – peppers / courgettes / spinach / carrots are great.
- 1 Tin of Chopped Tomatoes
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Smoked Paprika
- 1 Teaspoon of Harissa Paste
- Tablespoon of Olive oil + Extra to serve.
- Crusty Bread for dipping.
- Fresh Herbs like Coriander or Parsley to serve
- In a cast iron pan (or a pan you can put in the oven) or a frying pan with a lid. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil on a medium heat. If you are using a cast iron pan turn your oven to 180′.
- Add the Onions to the pan and sauté until nice and soft.
- Add the chilli, paprika & 1/2 of the Harissa. Stir into the onions and then add the rest of the vegetables / Chorizo you’re using. Cook for a few minuets.
- Tip the tomatoes into the pan, add a little water also. Bring this to the boil and then turn down to a simmer.
- With a wooden spoon make little wells in the sauce and then crack the eggs in.
- If using the oven place the pan into the oven and cook for about 5-10 minuets. If not just pop the lid on the pan and cook for about 5 minuets or so till the whites of the eggs are firm but you have a runny yolk still.
- When the eggs are cooked take off the heat. Sprinkle over the fresh herbs, a drizzle of olive oil and dollop the rest of the harissa over the eggs. Spoon onto plates and serve with crusty warm bread.