These Sweet Potato Cakes are so easy to make and they are incredibly versatile so they aren’t just a breakfast option. If your vegan or have an egg allergy try making some homemade baked beans instead. They are a great addition to a summer BBQ and are great in lunch boxes too with a salad.
Serves 2 / Makes 4 Cakes
• 1 large sweet potato (peeled & roughly chopped)
• 4 Fresh eggs
• 1 avocado
• 1 bag of spinach
• 8 chestnut mushrooms (sliced)
• 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
• 1/2 tsp cumin
• 1/2 tsp dried herbs
• Salt & Pepper to taste
- In a medium saucepan boil some water with a little salt and cook the potatoes till softened but still a little firm – about 8/10 minutes. When cooked, drain and mash with a fork. Turn the oven on to a low heat – about 50’ or if you have a warming draw turn that on.
- Add the herbs & spices to the potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Form into 4 patties and set aside.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan (medium / low heat) and cook the patties for about 5 minutes on each side. When cooked you can transfer into the oven or warming draw to keep warm.
- Heat a little oil in the frying pan. Add the mushrooms with some pepper, after a few minutes add the spinach to the same pan and leave to cook.
- Meanwhile poach your eggs in bubbling water. Remove with a slotted spoon and dry off on some kitchen roll.
- Slice some avocado and then assemble everything on a plate. Season with salt and pepper. I like to add some chilli flakes and some herbs like fresh dill. But you do you!
*Let me know what you enjoy these cakes with!*